Providence Urology Specialists
Diseases of the Urinary Tract
Urine is the liquid waste and excess created by the body. Cellular metabolism generates many nitrogen-rich by-products which must be cleared from the bloodstream. Urination is also the way a body rids itself of chemicals, dead blood cells and other liquids that do not serve a purpose in the body.
The urinary tract is the system that rids the excess fluid from the body. It includes your kidneys, ureters, urethra, and bladder.
Urologic diseases occur when the tract is not working properly.
Urinary tract diseases include:
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Urinary incontinence or leakage of urine
- Overactive bladder or urinary frequency
- Urinary tract infection or UTI
- Hematuria or blood in urine
- Kidney Stones
- Pelvic prolapse or “dropped bladder”
Urinary tract treatments include:
- Bladder cancer – intravesical chemotherapy, Cysview® or “blue light”
- Kidney cancer – cryoablation (freezing), laparoscopic surgery
- Urinary incontinence or leakage of urine – Interstim®, Botox®, surgical repair, urodynamics
- Kidney stones – laser lithotripsy, extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL)
- Erectile dysfunction – medical treatment, penile injection therapy, vacuum pump, penile implantation
- Peyronie’s disease or penile bending – Xiaflex® treatment
- Pelvic prolapse or “dropped bladder” – pessary, surgical repair
Interested in an appointment with a Urologist?
Call Providence Urology Specialists at (803) 365-8620.