Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Treadmill Test determines how your heart responds to stress and evaluates your cardiovascular status. You will be asked to walk on a treadmill until you reach a "target" heart rate based on your age. During the treadmill, blood pressure, heart rate, rhythm and ECG changes will be continuously monitored.
The exercise usually lasts for 5 to 15 minutes. You should allow about an hour for the entire test, which includes preparation, the exercise portion, and the recovery period. Here are the patient instructions.
1. Do not eat or drink anything two hours prior to the test.
2. Diabetics should eat a light breakfast and take their insulin prior to the test.
3. Take all your regular medications, unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
4. Wear two-piece clothing and comfortable shoes. No "flip flop" type shoes.
5. Your physician will be notified of the results.